Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why oh why?

I cut off all my hair. It was a gradual process. It went from long Kardashian locks to shoulder length, to a bob to a shorter bob to a pixie-ish cut. I shed my hair like a snake, I slowly dipped my toe in the short hair pool when really I wanted to make a drastic change. I wanted to jump head first into the pool but I held back. I can’t articulate why--maybe because the world convinced me that I would regret the aftermath of all that hair on the floor. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Who are all you people sharing your unsolicited advice and getting into my head creating doubt and insecurity. And why am I listening?

A paragraph about my hair seems so shallow but it’s just a metaphor for what has inspired this blog. In September I turned 35. I wanted to love it and embrace it. I wanted to be all confident and womanly and announce to the world that this is the best time of my life!

But all I can think about is that I. Am. 35.

Middle-aged.

I am closer to 40 and just getting older.

I don’t know why. It could be because of the pesky 40 extra pounds I long to lose, or because I was supposed to be Diana Ross by now or that life is never what you expect it to be and after a series of unfortunate events effecting people around me I feel like I should have reached a certain level of greatness that seems to elude me.
People take note I am naked, exposed, giving you the ugly truth of my insecurities. I felt compelled to write this blog so that I could begin to explore my own insecurities and yours through the lense of age. Maybe age is nothing but a number or maybe to you it is everything and a number! Either way I pledge to look 35 in the eye and embrace it.

Throughout this next year I pledge to try 35 new things anything from skydiving (<- that word is clearly an example—I would like to embrace 36 and have no desire to pee at 40,000 feet) to trying a new food or learning a new language. Big or small it doesn’t matter what matters is that I want to get out of my comfort zone, off my couch and spend a little time on me which I believe will make me a better friend, sister, Mami and wifey.

Secondly, I want to learn from you. I will interview 35 amazing women of all ages about their own milestones, insecurities and other cool shit that they wish to share. This is my gift to the world. It is my 35 project. My attempt to give to the world as I take and hope that somewhere along the way someone learns something, or starts to think of themselves or their age in a new way.

It’s a long way to September 21st, 2012 but we’re on this road trip together. I hope you enjoy, I hope you post comments and fingers crossed I hope that on my 36th birthday I can in the words of 50 cent “Party like it’s my birthday and I won’t give a %*&# cause it’s my birthday” or something like that. I hope you will be partying along with me.

Love--Me and my pixie-ish cut

No comments:

Post a Comment